Saturday, July 24, 2010

Life in Mumbai

Life in Mumbai is weird!! Yes. That would be my first statement. It is weird in every sense of the word. I would say so cause am writing this one while I travel by a local train to work.

What a day it is. Its raining cats and dogs. That I would say is an understatement. It hasn't stopped raining in 2 days. But the spirit of Mumbai is not easy to kill. The tracks are full of water and the station, full of people. I can still see people going to work, women dressed in heavy sarees for some function, mother's getting their children back from school.
All of this brings a smile on my face. It makes me happy that people do not chose to sit at home because of the rain. With the amount of water logged on the tracks, you never know when the great Indian railways com to a standstill.

Some people might call it foolish moving out in a condition like this. But I really appreciate the people of Mumbai for their spirit. Nothing pulls them down. Floods, terror attacks, Bandh! We have faced it all and are ready for any number.

Keeping the fear of getting stranded aside, the weather I would say is beautiful. The plush green trees in the full bloom makes the scenery pretty. The fragrance of the wet sand and a bright building amidst it all. This pallet of nature is at its colourful best!

It's funny that I would dislike all of these things once I step out on the road with a heavy bag in one hand and an umbrella in the other. Dirty muddy water under my feet will then be smelly and no more a fragrance. 2 - 3 abuses at a guy zooming away in his classy car, splashing dirt on my freshly washed and ironed clothes.

But then all of it is a part and parcel of this race. Race that a Mumbaikar runs everyday of his / her life. The goal is unknown to many. But all of them are a part of it. Running to fulfill some desire... secretly!

To the spirit of Mumbai and Mumbaikars.... Cheers!!

7 comments:

  1. all tht u have written is just so perfect and apt and every mumbaikar who knows and believes in the spirit of mumbai will agree with u......its just what every bombayite feels....and lastly cheers!!!!2 the never say die spirit of mumbai............

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Mumbai meri jaan come what may with this digging municipality people who only dig their graves but unfortunately Mumbaikars have to drown in them.But still with the worst political system and the so called claimants of Mumbai,this is our Mumbai.Come what may nobody can stop us and as you rightly said this is the spirit of Mumbai with all the filth. Still this is the crown of our India.

    Keep writing. Maybe one day with this filth(the so called politician)may value the crown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its so true that Mumbai is weired, but i truely miss this spirit and attitude here in Bangalore. i always felt why the hell do i have to run with the crowd in such a fast life... But now i have all my answers to it. Mumbaiites do not like luxury (that suits for me at least) Kudos to my Mumbai... love you and miss u a lot!

    ReplyDelete